Who Can Apply

Naturalization is a process where a person, who has Legal Permanent Resident status (Green Card), applies to become a citizen of the U.S.

You may apply for Naturalization when you meet all the requirements to become a U.S. citizen. General eligibility requirements are the following:

  1. You are at least 18 years of age at the time of filing (except active duty members of the U.S. Armed Forces);
  2. You are a permanent resident of the United States for a required period of time;
  3. You have lived within the state or USCIS district where you claim residence for at least 3 months prior to filing;
  4. You have demonstrated physical presence within the United States for a required period of time;
  5. You have demonstrated continuous residence for a required period of time;
  6. You demonstrate good moral character;
  7. You demonstrate an attachment to the principles and ideals of the U.S. Constitution;
  8. You demonstrate a basic knowledge of U.S. history and government (also known as “civics”) as well as an ability to read, write, speak and understand basic English; and
  9. You take an Oath of Allegiance to the United States. Some applicants may be eligible for a modified oath.

The Process

The applicant files an Application for Naturalization with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

After the Application for Naturalization is filed, USCIS sends a receipt notice confirming that they received the Application for Naturalization.

After the applicant receives a receipt notice, USCIS sends a biometric appointment to the applicant.

The applicant is scheduled for an interview.  During the interview, USCIS will go over the applicant’s case and will administer the Naturalization exam (knowledge of U.S. civics and English).

If USCIS approves the Application for Naturalization, USCIS will schedule the applicant for an Oath ceremony.

After the Oath ceremony, USCIS will issue to the applicant a Naturalization Certificate.

Derivative Relatives

In general, relatives of a naturalized citizen do not acquire U.S. citizenship automatically, with one exception.

Under certain situations, children of a under certain situations may acquire U.S. citizenship automatically. Please refer to the Automatic Citizenship page for more information.

Let Us Help You to File for Your Naturalization

If you want more information and/or professional assistance filing for naturalization, contact Cherny Law Office P.C. and get the help you need.
Contact info
cherny law logo

Have a Question?

Call us: (516) 214-0473

Send us a Message


If you are calling from Israel: please call +(972) 72-259-1085

Get In Touch
Services Needed*:
Any Questions or Project Details?
Our Location
The information contained on this website is presented for informational and marketing purposes only and is not to be understood as legal advice. You should consult an attorney for advice respecting your individual needs. Cherny Law Office P.C. looks forward to speaking with you about your particular needs. Please note, however, that the mere act of contacting our firm does not create an attorney-client relationship. As a result, you should never send any confidential information to our office until a Representation Agreement has been signed by both you and Cherny Law Office P.C.